I really thought, with the exponential growth of the web, spammers would have given up trying to harvest email addresses from webpages. Seems like I was wrong as today I, finally received the first spam mail to the only email address, published on this website. Why did I do such a foolish thing? Well, say thank you to German politicians and an ill-bred law called TMG, which states that you have to, if your website meets some sloppy defined criteria.
In my opinion, this website doesn't, but since we have a lucrative loophole in German law, allowing lawyers to sent cease and desist letters (and collect for them), it's better to be safe than sorry. Dealing with spam is simply cheaper than dealing with lawyers and less annoying.
Well, since RFC 2142 demands, that certain mailboxes exist for every domain, while the TMG does not demand, that a specific address is used, I have at least the freedom of using firstname.lastname@example.org as my official contact address to minimize the damage.
So maybe, I can still be right on my assumption, that spammers don't crawl websites anymore and instead got that address from making an educated guess. I really must test this some day.
Anyway, what kind of junk did I get? Herbal pills? Money transfer requests from Nigeria? Software sales? No, all wrong. Today, I was offered an OIL TANKER! Come on folks, seriously? A second hand oil tanker? Are you guys really expecting to sell stuff this way, or is it just about verifying the addresses of people, who try to unsubscribe?
Well, for entertainment purposes, here's message (with some obfuscation added by me):
Our yard sincerely presenting the following for immediate transaction:
BRAND NEW FROM OUR YARD
- 1 Unit of BRAND NEW 7,500dwt Oil Tanker (Built Nov, 2008 in China)
- 1 Unit of BRAND NEW 6740dwt Chemical Tanker (Built Nov, 2008 in China)
- 1 Unit of BRAND NEW 9000dwt MPP (Built Sept, 2009 in China)
- 1 Unit of BRAND NEW 17,000dwt crude/product oil tanker(Built May, 2009 in China)
- 1 Unit of BRAND NEW 10,800dwt Bulk carrier(Built 2009 in China)
- 1 Unit of BRAND NEW 19,800dwt Bulk carrier(Built May, 2009 in China)
- 1 Unit of 23000dwt Bulker (Built Feb, 2009 in China)
- 1 Unit of BRAND NEW 23,800dwt Bulk carrier(Built May, 2009 in China)
- 1 Unit of BRAND NEW 32,000dwt Bulk carrier(Built May, 2009 in China)
- 1 Unit of BRAND NEW 38,000dwt Bulk carrier(Built May, 2009 in China)
- 1 Unit of 1002dwt Chemical Tanker (Built 1988 in Japan), US$600,000
- M/V DONG FA, 1500dwt Container General Cargo Vessel (Built 1980 in Japan), US$380,000
- M/V DONG HANG, 1600dwt Container General Cargo Vessel (Built 1993 in China), US$850,000
- M/V DONG RONG, 2800dwt Container General Cargo Vessel (Built 1981 in Japan), US$1050,000
- M/V DONG YI, 1600dwt Container General Cargo Vessel (Built 1983 in Japan), US$500,000
- M/V TAI FAT, 1800dwt Container General Cargo Vessel (Built 1980 in Japan), US$420,000
Please visit us on: hxxp://www.aj7global.biz/shipping for more infomation.
And feel free to drop us an email or call for any question.
AJ7 Global Group Co,.Ltd (Shanghai, China)
Mobile: + 86 135 6421 7233
office: + 86 21 5424 1474
Fax: + 86 21 6402 1958
We are sorry if our email disturbed you, Please reply with "UNSUBSCRIBE" if you don't want to receive any promotion from our shipyard. Thank you!